Sometimes I enjoy walking around the mall. I rarely ever buy anything (unless Anthropologie has a sale), but Atlanta is really hot and the mall is air-conditioned, and there is coffee…
…anyway I was browsing the home department at Macy’s and saw these adorable glitter pom pom cupcake toppers from Martha Stewart, and decided that I must make my own. I’ve been searching all over the vast internets to find a picture so you can see how similar they look, but alas I have come up empty handed.
I picked up two packs of glitter pom poms from Michael’s and just twisted some toothpicks into them, and voila! These look almost Seussian in silliness, and I am not a very good icing piper, however, I still really love the way they turned out!
I’m definitely going to have to recreate these for Christmas and New Years!
I used a box of Funfetti cake mix (it was on super sale…sue me), but I made the icing from scratch. I want to share the recipe because the gentleman informed me that this was the best icing he had ever had, and that made me very happy!
Homemade Buttercream Icing
1 cup unsalted butter (softened, but try to keep it out and organically soften instead of microwaving it)
3-4 cups powdered sugar (now, you are supposed to sift it, but I am too impatient and never do. I’ve never had an issue though)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs vanilla extract (make your own here!)
up to 4 tbs milk or heavy cream (i usually use half&half since I always have some on hand)
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter for a few minutes on medium speed.
2. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn mixer on the lowest speed, or else you will have a very difficult clean-up ahead of you.
3. Return the mixer speed to medium and add the vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tbs of the milk/cream. Beat for 3 minutes.
4. Now you need to decide if your frosting needs a stiffer consistency (add the remaining powdered sugar), or thinned out (add the additional milk, 1 tbs at a time).
5. I always use Wilton food color gels when I make icing because, let’s face it, colored icing is super fun. So, if you would like, add a bit of food coloring and mix on slow until combined!